March 16, 2009

OBEY! No One

People who know me know that I loathe the OBEY! company and everything Shepard Fairey pretends to stand for. The simple reason for this is because he's a thief. He steals art--be it meaningful or not--and regurgitates it into pop drivel. You can argue with me about it if you really want to, but I stand firm in my belief that you shouldn't be able to misappropriate historical imagery, appropriate copyrighted imagery, copyright a single word ("obey") and then go crazy suing companies that are doing exactly the same thing to you. Off the record, and in complete confidence, I just think he's a whiny bitch who has entitlement issues and a white superiority complex. Not that my personal opinion really matters, though.

I was working on an article about Fairey, which was ultimately supposed to be an explanatory piece that would hopefully (Can I use the word "HOPE" without infringing? YIKES!) lead my audience to consider for themselves whether or not they believe Fairey to be a proverbial sheister. After numerous attempts to contact the OBEY! company, they finally got back to me regarding my initial query: Does Fairey cite his sources anywhere?

Their answer: Buy the book.

His book, full of borrowed art, faux-pithy sayings and misrepresented socio-political imagery is about $60. Fat chance.

I am really quite tempted to photocopy a borrowed issue, highlight a few sections, staple it together and sell it on my website. It's tempting, until I think about how quickly this guy will turn around and sue me. Just like he's doing to Steelerbaby.

Please, join my crusade against Fairey and buy some Steelerbaby merch.

I hate the Steelers, as I am both a Philadelphian and not a football fan. Despite this, I shall buy a shirt to support the real "grassroots" artists and superfans who are being abused by a gluttonous, ego-centric, monster capitalist. I also happen to collect Kewpie dolls, so it's just a nice fit.

Yeah, capitalism usually doesn't bother me, but this type of abuse burns me up. Read more about Fairey's art crimes (my emphasis) here: Obey Plagiarist Shepard Fairey.

Also, he got blasted by the ASSOCIATE PRESS!

I know I'm just one, little, mostly-insignificant person, but I support local arts and artists and I don't want someone like Fairey reaping benefits that he should be sharing. I also, dare I say, think most of the OBEY! stuff is kind of dumb and emo looking. But, as I conceded, my opinion really doesn't matter.

Want to see some good, local, wearable art? Check out the artists at Space 1026, Magic Outlaw, Vox Populi, Art in the Age and Topstitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment